How to reach Athens
Athens can be reached by plane using its International Airport "El. Venizelos".
Airport Connections: The airport is connected with the center of Athens by bus, metro and suburban railway. For a quick glance at all available services view the: Airport Connections Map. In order to plan your trip effectively please use the trip planner provided by the public transport organization (OASA) either on Google Maps or on HERE Maps. Ticket info can be found here.
- Metro: Metro connections are available from the AIA Rail Station (adjacent to the main terminal). The service is operating between 05:30 - 24:00, and the trains are departing every half hour, at xx:00' and at xx:30'. The detailed schedule can be found here. Metro tickets (~ 8€) must be purchased from the station and validated before boarding the train. The trip to Syntagma Sq. lasts 38'.
- Suburban Railway: Metro connections are available from the AIA Rail Station (adjacent to the main terminal). The service is operating between 05:30 - 23:11. A complete schedule can be found here. In order to reach Syntagma Sq. you should take the suburban railway up to "DOUKISSIS PLAKENTIAS" station, where you will change trains and take Metro Line 3 (blue line) towards Aghia Marina up to "EVANGELISMOS" or "SYNTAGMA" stations, respectively.
- Bus: Express bus routes operated by OASA (Public Bus Company) connect directly the Athens (city center & greater area) and Piraeus (port) with the Athens International Airport (AIA) “Eleftherios Venizelos”. Service is provided on a non-stop basis seven days a week including holidays (24/7 operation). All buses disembark passengers at the Departures Level (inbound trips to airport) and depart from the Arrivals Level (outbound trips from airport). Bus tickets (~5€) are sold at the info/ticket-kiosk (located outside the Arrivals between Exits 4 and 5), or onboard (ask operator) at no extra cost. The most convenient bus route to reach Syntagma Sq. is X95 SYNTAGMA – ATHENS AIRPORT EXPRESS. Direct Connection to Syntagma Square at Athens city center.
- Taxi: The color of taxis in Athens is yellow. When exiting Athens Airport you will find taxis waiting between Exit 2 and Exit 3 at the arrival area. You should get in the queue and when your turn comes, the policeman that controls the queue will signal you to get into the next available taxi. The fare from Athens airport to Athens city centre is fixed per taxi:
- Day time (05:00-24:00) Athens Airport to Athens city: 38 €
- Night time (24:00-05:00) Athens Airport to Athens city: 50 €
- The price includes totally everything. Luggage charge, tolls fee, VAT, meter start, airport charge etc. So, you don't have to pay anything more than the above. The same fixed fares apply when you pick a taxi from Athens centre to go to the airport.